Health Tip: Things That May Trigger Wheezing
(HealthDay News) -- Wheezing is a whistling sound that occurs when breathing tubes inside the lungs become narrowed or inflamed.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine says possible causes of wheezing include:
- Having asthma.
- Being sick with bronchitis, pneumonia or emphysema.
- Having gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
- Suffering from heart failure.
- Having a foreign body in the lungs.
- Having an allergic reaction.
- Smoking or taking certain medications.
- Having a viral infection (especially among infants under age 2).