Health Tip: Dining Out With Food Allergies
(HealthDay News) -- Restaurants aren't off-limits if you have a severe food allergy, but you should plan ahead to make sure you stay safe.
The Food Allergy Research and Education website advises:
- Call the restaurant and speak with the chef about which menu items are safe choices.
- Plan your meal times within the first hour of meal service, so the restaurant is less busy and the staff more alert.
- Bring a chef card that explains your allergies.
- Always bring an epinephrine pen, a medical ID bracelet and any medications you may need.
- Ask around for allergy-friendly restaurants, or opt for a chain restaurant that is allergy-aware and likely has the same menu at any location.